Quantum superposition taken to the limit, to a country size scale.
The turmoil social and political recent life in Catalonia, Spain, is leading to a superposition of Independent-Republic/Part-of-a-Monarchy state.
Spain is divided into 17 regions with their own local governments. Catalonia is one of those region, with particular historical characteristics. During the last 5 years there has been a growing feeling towards the independence of Catalonia from Spain. Spain is currently a monarchy.
1) Stage 1 of the Experiment: The Referendum. On October 1st was the first attempt in this unprecedented quantum experiment. On one side, the Catalan president summoned the catalans (citizens of Catalonia) to a referendum to determine if they wanted or not Catalonia to be an independent Republic. On the other side, Spanish president claimed that it was not going to be a referendum, or at least a binding one.
This is the way they were creating the quantum superposition of Referendum/non-referendum. And they really succeeded in having the citizens and the media confused on whether a referendum took place or not. Of course, there were lots of observers, which some claimed that the wave-function had collapsed into a yes and some into a no referendum. Experimental results were not robust enough, but there was no room for a second run of the experiment, at least from an independent research team.
2) Stage 2 of the Experiment: The Declaration of Independence. On October 10th, in agreement with the Catalan interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, the Catalan president summoned the Catalan House of Representatives. He was going to declare the independence. Did he do it? Well, he did and he did not, in the purest Schrödinger style. But high resolution measurements of his declaration could see that there had been a flow in his which path experiment. He had declared the independence but cancelled right after 6 seconds.
3) Stage 3 of the Experiment: Protocol 155. After one week of disagreement with the experimental results, and not knowing the uncertainty of the measurements, the Spanish president demanded the Catalan one the raw data and the analyzed data. Catalan experimentalists published a quick letter (fast editing) which was not clear enough (reviewers fault?). This made the Spanish part of the research team to perform a different measurement. They decided to apply technique 155 from the constitutional protocol. This would dissolve the government of Catalonia, giving a clear result of the superposition experiment.
4) Stage 4 of the Experiment: Call for Elections. After one week of fighting with the numbers and many-worlds interpretations of quantum mechanics, the Catalan president went one step forward and announced that he would make a call for elections. Then he didn't, trying to create a new superposition state to see if the experiment can still be saved.
5) Stage 5 of the Experiment: New Declaration of Independence. The last measurement did not create the desired superposition, so he has now announced a new declaration of independence, just to make it coincide with the Spanish application of the 155 protocol to the experiment.
Will they finally attain the Quantum Superposition of States, having a Republic and a Monarchy at the same time. Well, as far a nobody looks, that might work, but we will have to look and collapse the wave-function. We will have more information as the experiment is developed, which seems to be a long experiment.
Physicist, working in quantum optics and nonlinear dynamics in optical systems. Loves to communicate science.